Re: home lan

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 13:13, Ed Wilts wrote:

> > Tony, the best approach, from my experience, is to find a spare machine,
> > say an old 75 MHz Pentium, and set it up with a pair of NICs as your
> > firewall and network gateway using NAT.
>
> In my experience, that's the wrong answer.  You're far better off,
> long-term, to purchase one of those low-end home-oriented firewall boxes
> like a Linksys cable/dsl router.

	Both of these approaches are valid.  It depends on whether money or
time is your primary concern.  If you are on a tight budget then you
should do as SWMBO suggests.  If you do not have the time to manage an
extra system then Mr. Wilts has a good point.

	My personal "solution" for a home lan would be to find the low-end
system JD talked about and then run ClosedBSD <http://www.closedbsd.org>
for the firewall.

--
Your mouse has moved.
Windows(R) must be restarted for the change to take effect.