Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

On Thursday 07 November 2002 05:10, psyche-list-request@redhat.com wrote:
> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 05:08:28 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com>
> To: psyche-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution
> Or prehaps some people just don't actually *read* the

Mike, what we have here is a major "failure to communicate", and you
(redhat) are 50% of the problem.

I TOOK THE TIME TO READ THE RELEASE NOTES, and came away thinking all I
had to do is put the fonts into ~/.fonts or (or /usr/share/fonts), and
run fc-cache directory.  Of course, doing this does NOT get fonts
recognized for the other app's (mozilla, open office, etc.).

> RELEASE-NOTES.  And I quote:
>
>      o Red Hat Linux now uses Xft for fonts in GNOME and KDE, which
> uses fontconfig for configuring fonts. The old style Xft config file
> /etc/X11/XftConfig is no longer used or supported, having been replaced
> by the new unified fontconfig method of configuration. The fontconfig
> config file can be customized by editing
>        /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file.
>
>        If you have fonts that you would like to add to your
> configuration, you can copy them to ~/.fonts (or /usr/share/fonts), and
> run fc-cache directory. The fonts will then be available.

It would have been nice if the release notes had gone on to say something
like: For applications other than GNOME and KDE, do the following:

> 1) Put fonts into systemwide TTF font directory
> 2) "service xfs reload"
> 3) Restart any applications that you want the fonts to show up
>    in.

If you had done this, it would have saved me hours of searching and
hacking to get them working.