Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

Mike A. Harris wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>
>>Where do the other fomats go? I use several apps on non-Linux systems
>>(the X remote display is great) that don't use Xft or TTF.
>>

>In ~/.fonts or the other listed dirs.  Don't make it more
>complicated than it is.  It isn't complicated.

Just checking :) I'm used to it being harder than that:)

>>>2) "service xfs reload"
>>>3) Restart any applications that you want the fonts to show up
>>>  in.
>>>

>>Does all of this work for fontservers? As mentioned above for remote
>>work, I have fonts from HP-UX, Solaris, and Linux on one server, used by
>>all three system types.
>>

>xfs *is* a fontserver.  "service xfs reload" tells it to reload
>it's config file and rescan font dirs.

I mean, if the fonts are on machine Y,  a Psyche box, and I want machine
X to get fonts from it,
will GNOME2 like this or does it need local fonts?
Will I loose AA support? Hinting?

Will a Psyche box get fonts from an HP-UX or Solaris fontserver or will
GNOME2 dislike that?

>>>Steps 2 and 3 can be replaced by a "reboot".  I'm not sure how
>>>much simpler it can get than that.  Why on earth would one need
>>>some GUI "font configuration tool"?  Does Windows need such a
>>>tool?  Does Macintosh?  Does any sane OS?  No, not really.  And
>>>

>>Yes it does . Tools like Bitstream's "Font Navigator" or Adobe's
>>"Font Manager" that allow you to add/remove fonts. Windoze also
>>has a limit on how many font you can use.
>>

>Oh, do those applications come with Windows?  I didn't realize
>that.  What is the name of the .exe file for those apps, I'd like
>to have a look at what the competition is shipping in their OS
>products.

M$ doesn't ship one. That one of the problems. The lack of a good font
configuration tool
is probably holding back Linux in DTP. I sure doesn't help.

>Well, that is because the more fonts you have, the more
>information there is to parse, and so yes, the system will slow
>down.  Windows limits the number of fonts I believe.

Does linux place any realistic limits on the number of available fonts?
(2^32 is an un relastic limit to reach. 2^16 is probably unlikely to be
hit as well)

    -Thomas