Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, w wrote:

>Mike, what we have here is a major "failure to communicate", and you
>(redhat) are 50% of the problem.

I consider that a complete insult.  I've spent several hours of
my own unpaid personal time, to try to help people on this list
understand things.  And you say I am failing to communicate?

>I TOOK THE TIME TO READ THE RELEASE NOTES, and came away thinking all I
>had to do is put the fonts into ~/.fonts or (or /usr/share/fonts), and
>run fc-cache directory.  Of course, doing this does NOT get fonts
>recognized for the other app's (mozilla, open office, etc.).

Have you read the Red Hat Linux online manuals from start to
finish by chance?  If so, which ones?  If there are things
missing from our manuals, please file documentation bug reports.
If our manuals are missing critical configuration details, then
we certainly want to fix them.  If our documentation, and that
includes the RELEASE-NOTES does document something however, and
nobody reads it, well we can't put a gun to their head.

>>      o Red Hat Linux now uses Xft for fonts in GNOME and KDE, which
>> uses fontconfig for configuring fonts. The old style Xft config file
>> /etc/X11/XftConfig is no longer used or supported, having been replaced
>> by the new unified fontconfig method of configuration. The fontconfig
>> config file can be customized by editing
>>        /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file.
>>
>>        If you have fonts that you would like to add to your
>> configuration, you can copy them to ~/.fonts (or /usr/share/fonts), and
>> run fc-cache directory. The fonts will then be available.
>>

>It would have been nice if the release notes had gone on to say something
>like: For applications other than GNOME and KDE, do the following:
>
>> 1) Put fonts into systemwide TTF font directory
>> 2) "service xfs reload"
>> 3) Restart any applications that you want the fonts to show up
>>    in.
>
>If you had done this, it would have saved me hours of searching and
>hacking to get them working.

RELEASE-NOTES is not a catch-all for every change done to the OS.
Most people do not read neither our RELEASE-NOTES, nor our
documentation, and a large number of them complaining that we
didn't document something - having never even tried to read our
manuals in the first place.  We aren't going to make
RELEASE-NOTES a 20Mb file full of changes.  That would just make
it even more unlikely that people would ever read it.

The proper place for this type of stuff is a complete manual, not
some README file.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer