From: Mike A. Harris [mailto:mharris@redhat.com]
Sent: Wed, November 06, 2002 4:40 PM
To: RedHat Psyce list (psyche-list@redhat.com)
Subject: Re: issues with KVM switches

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Brian York wrote:

>Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:18:41 -0500
>From: Brian York <YORKB@exchange.nku.edu>
>To: "RedHat Psyce list (psyche-list@redhat.com)" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: issues with KVM switches
>
>Has anyone had any problems with redhat 8 and KVM switches? When I am
>working on another computer the switch back to rh8 box the keyboard doesn't
>respond. Has anyone else had this problem?

KVM switches can cause all sorts of problems.  They can corrupt
the monitors DDC signal, preventing monitor plug and play, they
can change the protocol your mouse uses, and they can corrupt
both the mouse and the keyboard signal.  Also, some of them turn
wheel mice into non-wheel mice.

Some KVM switches get things right, and actually work, and work
well.  Others do not get things right, and totally screw things
up.  As such, using a KVM is unsupported.  If it works, great,
but if it does not, and the problem you encounter can not be
reproduced by connecting the K, V, and M directly to the
computer, then it is considered a KVM hardware bug, and is
unsupported.

I have an ABL KVM (now owned by APC), and it works well, even
with wheel mice.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer