RE: issues with KVM switches

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Paul Hamm wrote:

>Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:08:15 -0500
>From: Paul Hamm <paulhamm@OpenRatings.com>
>To: "'psyche-list@redhat.com'" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: RE: issues with KVM switches
>
>Common problem that I have seen with low end KVMs and some not so low end
>ones.  It is not a Linux issue but a hardware issue.  I have found that some
>systems (PCs) work better, may be signal strength, than others.  Also some
>KVMs work better than others.  Personal expirience indicates that Compaq
>servers will handle almost anything no sweat but Dell power edge will flake
>out on the older Belkin pro KVMs.  As far as KVMs the New Belkin pro 2 seems
>to work great I have a 4 port at home.  Also raritan KVMs seem to work great
>also.  I have had various problems with desktop machines where some models
>have no problem and others always die, same manufacturer.  My advice is
>spend more money or learn to love TightVNC.

For those using/needing/wanting KVM switches... think again...

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net

Synergy2 is a completley free open source software solution that
can do almost everything a KVM can do, only over the network.
One drawback being that you need multiple monitors still.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer