RE: issues with KVM switches

> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Paul Hamm wrote:
>
>>Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:08:15 -0500
>>From: Paul Hamm
>>To: "'psyche-list@redhat.com'" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>>Subject: RE: issues with KVM switches
>>
>>Common problem that I have seen with low end KVMs and some not so low
>>end ones.  It is not a Linux issue but a hardware issue.  I have found
>>that some systems (PCs) work better, may be signal strength, than
>>others.  Also some KVMs work better than others.  Personal expirience
>>indicates that Compaq servers will handle almost anything no sweat but
>>Dell power edge will flake out on the older Belkin pro KVMs.  As far as
>>KVMs the New Belkin pro 2 seems to work great I have a 4 port at home.
>>Also raritan KVMs seem to work great also.  I have had various problems
>>with desktop machines where some models have no problem and others
>>always die, same manufacturer.  My advice is spend more money or learn
>>to love TightVNC.
>
> For those using/needing/wanting KVM switches... think again...
>
> http://synergy2.sourceforge.net
>
> Synergy2 is a completley free open source software solution that
> can do almost everything a KVM can do, only over the network.
> One drawback being that you need multiple monitors still.
>
> --
> Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris

For a person with 2 or maybe even 3 PCs - maybe - but unless your
into the setup like in the Swordfish movie and/or have buckets of
money, one monitor with a KVM is much cheaper than 3 or more monitors
and some setup to be able to look at all the monitors at once.
(I'd even say 2 monitors is more expensive unless you buy REALLY
cheap monitors)

For geek value, the Swordfish setup is certainly cooler :-)

I use 2 KVM's: one (8 port) with 7 PC's (5 Linux and 2 Windows) and
one (4 port) with 2 PC's (both Windows)
Both KVM's are "Master View"
(I even had the 4 port plugged through the 8 port for about a year
and never had any problems with a Linux box in the 4 port)

For video issues - you MUST use high quality video leads - never had
a problem with Video and good leads.

For Keyboard - nothing special - never had a problem.

For Mice ... well that's where the problems start.
As long as you are using a 3 button or less PS/2 mouse it works fine.
My 4 button Logitech cordless sends a BUTTON3 when I press the 4th
button and sometimes sends a MOUSE4 when I use the scroll - ended up
plugging the mouse directly into the PC to solve that one and using
a 2nd mouse for my 2 year olds WinPC.
I never tried my 5 button no name mouse - I can image the problems ...
Tring to get PS/2 to serial through is even worse ... that took 9
months to give up on with the supplier and just say - it doesn't work
and get a 2nd replacement MasterView.

Ignoring KVM's:
My experience with PS/2 mice has ALWAYS been that if I unplug it,
it will not work if I plug it back in again - windows and linux
Also, if it's not plugged in at boot, it won't work plugged in later
(even Windows tells you this when it boots :-)
PC's range from old Compaq's, to all sorts of brands of motherboards
in no-name PC's to Dell's and a Gateway.

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!