Re: issues with KVM switches

From: "Paul Hamm" <paulhamm@OpenRatings.com>

> Common problem that I have seen with low end KVMs and some not so low end
> ones.  It is not a Linux issue but a hardware issue.  I have found that
some
> systems (PCs) work better, may be signal strength, than others.  Also some
> KVMs work better than others.  Personal expirience indicates that Compaq
> servers will handle almost anything no sweat but Dell power edge will
flake
> out on the older Belkin pro KVMs.  As far as KVMs the New Belkin pro 2
seems
> to work great I have a 4 port at home.  Also raritan KVMs seem to work
great
> also.  I have had various problems with desktop machines where some models
> have no problem and others always die, same manufacturer.  My advice is
> spend more money or learn to love TightVNC.

Paul, I'm maybe a little fussier than you are. I have a Pro II eight port
here. It works well enough with the mouse I have. Alas, it sometimes leaves
the keyboard LEDs in an "odd state" after I switch to a new position using
the keyboard sequence. (It also sometimes misses the first scroll lock key
press. THAT gets annoying.) It also had a SEVERE defect when I first got
it. And the replacement for it I got from Belkin had the same problem and
was otherwise physically broken when I got it. So I dove into my original
model, added back a capacitor they had value engineered out, and have an
80% livable box runing at 1920x1440 at 75Hz. The defect the boxes shared
was a horrid video ringing that at some signal amplitudes and edge level
changes could ring the full width of the screen. The output video amp was
very close to oscillation. I have this down to a "very slight ringing" that
I can mostly tolerate. I may poke fingers into the box again someday and
tune out the residual ringing, if possible. It's just more time than I want
to spend. {^_-}

However, aside from the fact that the box MUST be switched to the
computer as it boots for the DDC and mouse signals to get properly
detected on boot, the odd keyboard LED behavior, and the sometimes
missed "scroll lock" keypress for its "scroll lock" "scroll lock"
"two digit number" sequence for changing computers it's doing well
enough. And it is handy for its PS/2 to USB conversion. That was the
chief selling point for my needs at present.

{^_^}