Re: issues with KVM switches

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 13:40, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Brian York wrote:
>
> >Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:18:41 -0500
> >From: Brian York <YORKB@exchange.nku.edu>
> >To: "RedHat Psyce list (psyche-list@redhat.com)" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
> >Subject: issues with KVM switches
> >
> >Has anyone had any problems with redhat 8 and KVM switches? When I am
> >working on another computer the switch back to rh8 box the keyboard doesn't
> >respond. Has anyone else had this problem?

> KVM switches can cause all sorts of problems.  They can corrupt
> the monitors DDC signal, preventing monitor plug and play, they
> can change the protocol your mouse uses, and they can corrupt
> both the mouse and the keyboard signal.  Also, some of them turn
> wheel mice into non-wheel mice.
>
> Some KVM switches get things right, and actually work, and work
> well.  Others do not get things right, and totally screw things
> up.  As such, using a KVM is unsupported.  If it works, great,
> but if it does not, and the problem you encounter can not be
> reproduced by connecting the K, V, and M directly to the
> computer, then it is considered a KVM hardware bug, and is
> unsupported.
>
> I have an ABL KVM (now owned by APC), and it works well, even
> with wheel mice.

My Belkin OmniView has worked very well, with no problems with
mouse/keyboard or monitor detection. But I recently threw a Radeon AIW
7500 in, and the image is ghosting very severely. I'm guessing it may be
power related, since I misplaced the power adapter quite a while ago,
and it's been operating off the PS/2 connectors. I think the 7500 may
need a bit more of a signal boost, though.

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@bluethingy.com>