True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

Ok.  I'm a little confused now because the way Redhat has decided to
render fonts in 8 is different from every other distro, so now the old
instructions for getting TTF in mozilla don't seem to apply?

I put my TTF directory at /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF, restarted xfs,
restarted X, but that didn't work.  I made sure the directory was listed
in fonts.conf, but that actually broke my other fonts, so I took it out.

What I have now is TTF works in EVERYTHING except HTML viewing.  In the
GNOME control panel, I found the HTML Viewer configuration, but I can't
figure out how to make the thing see my directory.  It doesn't see my
~/.fonts directory either.  Nor does evolution or Mozilla.

Does anyone know the magic incantations necessary to get this to work?
Do I now have to know two different font rendering configs to get all my
apps to use TTF?  Is there documentation on this that I missed?  I read
man pages for xfs, fontconfig, and I read the XftConfigReadme in
/etc/X11, and the comments in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  I'm really pretty
frustrated at this point.

Thanks for any links or advice.
brian.
--