Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

On 6 Nov 2002, Brian K. Jones wrote:

>Date: 06 Nov 2002 11:33:51 -0500
>From: Brian K. Jones <jonesy@CS.Princeton.EDU>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution
>
>Ok.  I'm a little confused now because the way Redhat has decided to
>render fonts in 8 is different from every other distro, so now the old
>instructions for getting TTF in mozilla don't seem to apply?

This is not a "Red Hat decides to be different from everyone
else" thing.  XFree86 has had a font subsystem that is about 15
years behind modern technology for well, about 15 years.  Keith
Packard of the XFree86 core team, has been working on a new font
infrastructure for about 2 years now to replace the ancient
garbage font system in X.  This new system is called Xft.

Xft is a client side font library which uses the RENDER extension
to produce antialiased fonts.  Xft is a core part of XFree86, and
not some random Red Hat thing like some people seem to think.
Xft has been included in XFree86 for a while now, and antialiased
fonts have been available in KDE now for a while as well.  The
first Xft library (Xft1) was available in some previous Red Hat
Linux releases, and if you enabled AA fonts in KDE, then you were
using it.  Most of the rest of the system did not use Xft at that
time.

Now, Keith Packard has improved Xft, and brought it to a new
level.  Xft2 is now a part of XFree86, and is much better.  Xft2
uses another new piece of technology that Keith has written
called "fontconfig", which is intended to be a sane way of
configuring fonts systemwide, and is not X specific.  Once
*everything* is using fontconfig, Linux will have a rather sane
one stop shop place for configuring fonts.  Keith also ported the
original Xft1 library to use fontconfig, so that Xft1 and Xft2
apps can run side by side, and share the same font configuration,
instead of having 3 different ways of configuring fonts.

Having this wonderful new font technology, and having nothing
using it, isn't too beneficial.  Not to XFree86, not to Linux,
not to the Linux userbase, and not to Red Hat users, or any other
distribution's users.

The GNOME and KDE releases in Red Hat Linux 8.0, both are using
Keith Packards Xft2 and fontconfig, both of which are a core part
of XFree86 now, and will be _the_ way fonts are done from now on
period, in _all_ Linux distributions that are using X at all.

Keith has done a fantastic job at creating this technology, and
we are very glad to be using it in Red Hat Linux 8.0, and to take
X11 out of the 1980's finally.

Unfortunately, you don't just change a major piece of
infrastructure over night, flick a switch and have every
application working using the new interfaces.  It takes time for
people to port old legacy apps, and even some newer apps to the
new interfaces.  There are many apps that do NOT yet use the new
Xft interfaces, and as such they still use the legacy X server
fonts via xfs.  Until someone ports all of those applications to
use Xft, there will be a necessity for both Xft and xfs to
co-exist, and as such there will be a necessity for 2 different
font configuration systems.  One, fontconfig, and the other, the
traditional xfs font server config or X server config.

Applications that do not use Xft include Mozilla, OpenOffice,
Evolution, most Xt and Xaw applications, GTK1 apps, and almost
all applications that do not use GTK2 or Qt3, or use Xft
directly.

Mozilla Xft support is in Mozilla CVS now, and will be released
in a future Red Hat Linux release.  Other apps are sure to follow
too.  Until they do, you, and others are faced with configuring
fonts in two places if you want fonts to work in all
applicaitons.

The alternative, would be shipping the same old 1985 crap forever
and not ever switching to the new font technology that Keith has
written.

So if you wonder why "Red Hat decided to render fonts different",
now you know.  It is called progress, and evolution.  People who
want to use the ancient font garbage from 1985 that X has
traditionally come with, might prefer to use Red Hat Linux 4.2,
or somesuch.

>figure out how to make the thing see my directory.  It doesn't see my
>~/.fonts directory either.  Nor does evolution or Mozilla.

That's no surprise.  None of those apps are using Xft, and so
none of those apps will see anything configured via fontconfig,
or dropped into ~/.fonts

>Does anyone know the magic incantations necessary to get this to
>work?

Yes.

>Do I now have to know two different font rendering configs to
>get all my apps to use TTF?

Yes.

>Is there documentation on this that I missed?  I read man pages
>for xfs, fontconfig, and I read the XftConfigReadme in /etc/X11,
>and the comments in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  I'm really pretty
>frustrated at this point.

I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated.  If given the choice
between using 1985 font technology for another 5-10 years, or
biting one's lip and migrating to new technology, I think most
people would take the latter.  Once all applications are modified
to use the new technology, then dual font configuraiton will no
longer be needed.  But until that point is reached, configuring
fonts in 2 places is a requirement.  IMHO, the benefit is very
very much worth the slight inconvenience.  Red Hat just happens
to be the first to boldly use this innovative new font
technology.  And we do so, with many great thanks to Keith
Packard.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer