Re: Vfat ownership and permissions

anthony baldwin wrote:

>>I'm finding impossible to change ownership and permissions on my vfat
>>partititon.  Even as root, I get denied.
>>
>>John
>>

>>but my experience is, you can not write to that partition.  Not without an emulator that allows you to actually sign into windows, such as vmware.
>>
>>Tony

This is not my experience at all.  Here's my mount line from /etc/fstab

/dev/hda3               /mnt/fat                vfat
uid=500,rw,exec         0 0

I mount it and write to it from both Linux and Windows.  In fact I run
Mozilla on each OS and share the same folders between the seperate
installations (I know, scary) with no problems so far.

I have never managed to change permissions either.  I assumed that VFAT
did not support them and never really looked in to it.

Note NTFS (Win2K, XP) is a completely different story.

Ben Dugdale

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses]