Re: Red Hat 8.0 NetGear FA311 identification and IRQ assignment.

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Robert R Baer wrote:

> I noticed that others have this problem, but haven't seen any suggestions
> to try or eventual successes mentioned yet.
>
> Kudzu correctly identifies the NetGear FA311 NIC according to pci, but when
> trying to configure it and bring it up, gives the error message Unable to
> find IRQ for pin 1 of device...  It then assigns IRQ 0 to the card.  Since
> the system clock doesn't play well with others, this doesn't work.  You get
> the message system or device busy when the card tries to activate.
> Overriding this in modules.conf doesn't help, even when kudzu is removed
> from startup.
>
> Everything else on the system is correctly identified and works.  There is
> very little hardware, and several IRQ's are free, so this shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> Anyone have an idea on what to try next?

To counter, I've had good luck with these cards.  Did kudzu identify the
module as netsemi?

One thing you can try is assigning base I/O and irq with an options
statement in /etc/modules.conf.  Oops, RedHat's reference guide for psyche
doesn't show any options for the netsemi.o module (just checked).  Is it
possible to move the card to another pci slot?