Re: Red Hat 8.0 NetGear FA311 identification and IRQ assignment.

However, I do remember that Netgear released a statement awhile ago
saying that some of their FA311 cards identify as FA312's and that there
is a BIOS update on the site that fixes it. This was only one particular
batch, yours may not be in that batch. Hope this helps anyways.

-- Jonathan

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 13:13, Keith Morse wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Robert R Baer wrote:
>
> > I noticed that others have this problem, but haven't seen any suggestions
> > to try or eventual successes mentioned yet.
> >
> > Kudzu correctly identifies the NetGear FA311 NIC according to pci, but when
> > trying to configure it and bring it up, gives the error message Unable to
> > find IRQ for pin 1 of device...  It then assigns IRQ 0 to the card.  Since
> > the system clock doesn't play well with others, this doesn't work.  You get
> > the message system or device busy when the card tries to activate.
> > Overriding this in modules.conf doesn't help, even when kudzu is removed
> > from startup.
> >
> > Everything else on the system is correctly identified and works.  There is
> > very little hardware, and several IRQ's are free, so this shouldn't be a
> > problem.
> >
> > Anyone have an idea on what to try next?
>
> To counter, I've had good luck with these cards.  Did kudzu identify the
> module as netsemi?
>

> One thing you can try is assigning base I/O and irq with an options
> statement in /etc/modules.conf.  Oops, RedHat's reference guide for psyche
> doesn't show any options for the netsemi.o module (just checked).  Is it
> possible to move the card to another pci slot?
>

> --

Jonathan M. Slivko              jslivko@slivko.org
UNIX/IT Consultant              phone: 212-663-1109
PGP Key: None Available         fax:   212-663-1109
     "Linux: The Choice for a GNU Generation"