Re: Kill TWM, kill, kill, kill Re: What happened to Xconfigurator?

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> 1) Too many people are requesting their own special window
>    managers to be added as options in switchdesk also, and using
>    the argument "twm is there".  Adding 50 WM's to the menu makes
>    it an ugly mess IMHO and somewhat daunting for some types of
>    users.  Also, having things on a menu seems to imply to some
>    users that such things are more "supported" since they're more
>    visible.

dunno that I agree there. I have really taken to Xfce, and its
sprightlyness.  Adding it to the chooser, and startup script
of the GDM was straightforward.  It is very well suited to
thin client rollout -- vertical applications, office desktops,
and LTSP are no-brainers for it.

That code calls out for factoring and modularization -- make a
subdirectory to hold Xfce.conf, twm.conf, IceWM.conf,
failsafe.conf, and yes even gnome.conf and kde.conf, and
wxyz.conf, and be done with the issue.

Solve the visibility issue within the 'setup' config tool,
just as we do with xinetd and initscript items, to check for a
# visible: yes
line in the .conf files, or with symlinking (less elegantly)
a la 'alternatives'.

The newly shipped Apache httpd.conf is doing the first in the
current release (look for /etc/httpd/conf.d/ ; it will REALLY
make management of virtual domains, and per directory
extensions trivial -- I have been rewriting tools in support).

-- Russ Herrold