Re: Kill TWM, kill, kill, kill Re: What happened to Xconfigurator?

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 17:54, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 01:58, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
>
> > Speaking of things to kill consider killing TWM: it has no redeeming
> > qualities (there are more featureful WMs with lower memory footprints)
> > and I don't think many people use it.   At the very least don't make it
> > selectable through menus since it is deathtrap for a beginner (he will
> > have no means of leaving the damned thing).   Those few TWM diehards
> > still left  are' supposed to be able to hack their X files (I am not
> > speaking about the movie!) in order to get TWM: they don't need a menu.
> > But other people would not have to jump above the TWM unexploded mine.
>
> 	I would say that with the advent of Openmotif, mwm could be a very
> reasonable fall back.  Also, I recently found vtwm, which is very nic
> for a minimal wm.

In case we need a real lean WM then I would go for fvwm who had more
features than twm (virtual desktops to begin with), far nicer looks and
a lower memory footprint than TWM (at least the version shipped in
RedHat Halloween was slimmer than TWM, don't know how it evolved).  But
I don't think fvwm is the only WM who is both leaner and meaner than
TWM.  For MWM it has far more features thanantwo times bigger than twm.
BTW mwm is in RedHat 7.3 and probably in 8.0

				JFM