Kill TWM, kill, kill, kill Re: What happened to Xconfigurator?

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 05:58, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Kevin McConnell wrote:
>
> >Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:04:11 -0800 (PST)
> >From: Kevin McConnell <kevymac@yahoo.com>
> >To: psyche-list@redhat.com
> >Subject: Re: What happened to Xconfigurator?
> >

> >--- steveo@syslang.net wrote:
> >> I noticed that it seems to be gone from 8.0 and the
> >> config file that I
> >> ended up with from the install is not XF86Config-4.
> >> Instead i got
> >> XF86Config. Am I missing something?
> >
> >try xf86config as that is the replacement program.
>
> Um.. no.  xf86config is _not_ the replacement program.  That
> would be an explicit step backwards to the stone age.  A large
> enough backwards step that I'm surprised that I forgot to remove
> that ancient garbage from RHL 8.0....   ;o)
>
> I'll have to remember to kill that one off next time.  Thanks for
> the reminder.  ;o)
>
> The new config tool is:  redhat-config-xfree86

Speaking of things to kill consider killing TWM: it has no redeeming
qualities (there are more featureful WMs with lower memory footprints)
and I don't think many people use it.   At the very least don't make it
selectable through menus since it is deathtrap for a beginner (he will
have no means of leaving the damned thing).   Those few TWM diehards
still left  are' supposed to be able to hack their X files (I am not
speaking about the movie!) in order to get TWM: they don't need a menu.
But other people would not have to jump above the TWM unexploded mine.

			JFM