Re: key repeat stops on Psyche

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Wade Hampton wrote:
>

>>On some of our RH 7.3 and 8.0 boxes, X will stop repeating
>>keys.  Any idea why and how to fix?
>>
>>For example, on my laptop it stopped repeating when I unsuspended
>>it this morning -- on Friday it worked fine.  The computer is an IBM A31p
>>with RH 8.0 loaded.  X was running.
>>--
>>Wade Hampton
>

> Interesting.  I find that occasionally, keys don't repeat.  If I lift my
> finger and try the key again, it usually works fine.  I also notice that
> very infrequently, if I press a key with the control key held down, the
> character will print instead of doing the control-key action.  Trying the
> key combo again usually works fine.  This happens on my Latitude but not
> on any of my desktops.
>
> Here is a wild-assed guess (maybe sombody can tell me if I am talking
> through my hat or not).  There are a couple of bugs in Bugzilla referring
> to the fact that real time clock on some laptops runs slow.  There was a
> thread in one of the Red Hat lists (but I can't recall which now) that
> explained that this was a consequence of the GNOME battery applet masking
> interrupts while getting the battery status.  Now that I think of it, if
> this is correct, then it seems like it might be related to this problem.
> My thought is that the pressing of the control key or the interrupt that
> causes the generation of the repeated character might be being dropped
> while the battery applet is running.
>
> Experts: does this make any sense at all?

Check to make sure autorepeat is on in the xserver.  Use xset utility
(and "man xset").  Type
xset q
and see if autorepeat is on, the delay (how long you press before
it repeats) and the rate.  If it's off, you can use
xset r
to turn it on.  The default for the setting can be put in
/etc/X11/XF86Config (or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) , usually
something like:
     Option  "AutoRepeat"    "500 5"
In the "InputDevice" section.

Hope this helps,