Re: key repeat stops on Psyche

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Wade Hampton wrote:

> On some of our RH 7.3 and 8.0 boxes, X will stop repeating
> keys.  Any idea why and how to fix?
>
> For example, on my laptop it stopped repeating when I unsuspended
> it this morning -- on Friday it worked fine.  The computer is an IBM A31p
> with RH 8.0 loaded.  X was running.
> --
> Wade Hampton

Interesting.  I find that occasionally, keys don't repeat.  If I lift my
finger and try the key again, it usually works fine.  I also notice that
very infrequently, if I press a key with the control key held down, the
character will print instead of doing the control-key action.  Trying the
key combo again usually works fine.  This happens on my Latitude but not
on any of my desktops.

Here is a wild-assed guess (maybe sombody can tell me if I am talking
through my hat or not).  There are a couple of bugs in Bugzilla referring
to the fact that real time clock on some laptops runs slow.  There was a
thread in one of the Red Hat lists (but I can't recall which now) that
explained that this was a consequence of the GNOME battery applet masking
interrupts while getting the battery status.  Now that I think of it, if
this is correct, then it seems like it might be related to this problem.
My thought is that the pressing of the control key or the interrupt that
causes the generation of the repeated character might be being dropped
while the battery applet is running.

Experts: does this make any sense at all?

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@clemson.edu