UTS bugs?

>-----
>Too many issues for one email.
>
>I will tackle the first.
>
>You need to kill all rpm / up2date processes. If you don't know how to
>do that - restart.
>
>Log on as root (or su to root)
>
>rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
>
>then up2date --register
>
>then up2date -u
>
>Craig

Thanks, Craig,
Actually, in the interim, before receiving this message, I have gotten up2date to run.  I was able to rpm real player 8 and yahoo messenger, as well as the xmms plug in for mp3 support.  I still can't install my printer driver or java runtime support.  Can't edit /etc/fstab.
AND, since installing the xmms plugin, now I can't play ANY files, (b4 I could at elast play .wav and .ogg files).  Now I keep getting a message that indicates there is another porcess using the soundcard (or that it is not set up properly--I checked the configuration and it is properly configured).  Oddly, I get no sound from the cdplayer, either...hmmm...nah, that couldn't still be running, I rebooted.
The Yahoo messenger is now working fine, accept that I  inadvertently told it to run on start up and can't figure out wehre to change that (I just close it).  I can't find the realplayer anywhere, but when I try to install from the rpm again, the machine assures me that it is installed.  I looked in /usr/bin  /usr/share /usr/local, /sbin/* etc, etc, etc...nothing.
I also have not been able to run /sbin/rhn_register (still get a :no such file or directory message).
So, it seems one thing was fixed and others broken...

tony