Re: UTS bugs?

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 17:37, anthony baldwin wrote:

> >-----
> >Too many issues for one email.
> >
> >I will tackle the first.
> >
> >You need to kill all rpm / up2date processes. If you don't know how to
> >do that - restart.
> >
> >Log on as root (or su to root)
> >
> >rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
> >
> >then up2date --register
> >
> >then up2date -u
> >
> >Craig
> >

> Thanks, Craig,
> Actually, in the interim, before receiving this message, I have gotten up2date to run.  I was able to rpm real player 8 and yahoo messenger, as well as the xmms plug in for mp3 support.  I still can't install my printer driver or java runtime support.  Can't edit /etc/fstab.
> AND, since installing the xmms plugin, now I can't play ANY files, (b4 I could at elast play .wav and .ogg files).  Now I keep getting a message that indicates there is another porcess using the soundcard (or that it is not set up properly--I checked the configuration and it is properly configured).  Oddly, I get no sound from the cdplayer, either...hmmm...nah, that couldn't still be running, I rebooted.
> The Yahoo messenger is now working fine, accept that I  inadvertently told it to run on start up and can't figure out wehre to change that (I just close it).  I can't find the realplayer anywhere, but when I try to install from the rpm again, the machine assures me that it is installed.  I looked in /usr/bin  /usr/share /usr/local, /sbin/* etc, etc, etc...nothing.
> I also have not been able to run /sbin/rhn_register (still get a :no such file or directory message).
> So, it seems one thing was fixed and others broken...

----
again...too many issues for one email

/sbin/rhn_register no longer exists...forget it. up2date --register has
replaced it.

where did you get xmms plug-in from?  check with the instructions from
there.

Fix to Yahoo messenger opening at startup depends upon which window
manager you are using.

Editing fstab...can't do it as a user, only as root...
terminal window
su -
emacs /etc/fstab

realplayer...install as user after installing as root.
most of these things install in /usr/local/

Craig