RE: How to Uninstall Linux 8.0?

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 19:20, Anthony Abby wrote:
> well then boot your system with a win 9x boot disk and perform a fdisk
> /mbr
fdisk /mbr (master boot record) as described will make it so that the
disk is prepared to boot windows but that is all.  It does nothing to
the rest of the disk.  This will remove grub or lilo and make pristine
the mbr for MS systems.  Using a win85 boot disk will make it so that
fat 32 is recognized on boot.  Earlier versions like DOS 5 have this
option but later versions are better.
In my experience any version of fdisk can be forced to destroy any
partition.  It may balk and complain that it is looking at an unknown
file system but I cannot remember it not working.
I am also pretty sure that win2k disk manager can delete an unknown
partition as well.  I like the way my computer is now setup so I am not
going to attempt to prove it but I am pretty sure I have done it.
There is no reason to get superstitious about disk partitions.
This part of the technology is dictated by the hardware protocol and is
not really operating system specific.  The Linux version of fdisk is
superior because it is so versatile and supports so many different file
systems, has a more complete set of options, etc..
So in closing if the install balks use any fdisk to delete your
partitions and restart the install.  It will work.

Jim Scott

Of course maybe you shouldn't listen to me.  I'm the unemployed one.