Re: Installing RH8.0

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Thomas Molina wrote:

> > They don't say it won't work with so little memory, but presumably they
> > consider performance deterioration due to extra swapping to be
> > unacceptable, particularly with a minimum spec processor as well.
>
> Then it shouldn't be called a "requirement" or be labeled as a "minimum".
> Saying minimum and requirement says to me that the thing won't work
> without it.  That is what "reccommended" tells me; it should be the
> difference between won't work and works comfortably.

I disagree. A minimal configuration should provide a minimally acceptable
performance.

> This is all mental gum-flapping anyway.  The processor is an Athlon 900,
> so it is not a minimum spec processor.  I have a development system and a
> production system.  The one I tested 8.0 on was from a bunch of parts
> sitting in the corner.  It was intended to be little more than providing a
> serial console on which the development machine could log messages.  It
> doesn't even have a keyboard or monitor attached in normal use.  Mostly
> I'll be telnetting in.  Since I've never had to do it, I need to find the
> HOWTOs in order to figure out how to do the serial console and export my X
> session to another machine on the same network.

To get a serial console on COM1, add console=ttyS0,9600 to the kernel
options at boot time. Use something like minicom at the other end of the
wire.

Almost all X programs can be displayed elsewhere by using -display host:0
or setting the DISPLAY variable.

	Michael Young