Re: xmms : no sound to hear ...

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 15:57, hans privat wrote:

> After a reboot the sound was NOT back again.
> Now I was looking, which sound related prog was running too and found
> out that "kmix" was now running.
>
> hitting the red led in "kmix" brings the sound back.
> Now my question about :
> how does the soundmodule coherent with kmix though I doesn't have called
> it - because the xmms I was calling in gnome - not in kde. The most
> important thing for my understanding is - why is "kmix" stopping the
> sound though I haven't called it ?
Hi Hans,

Though I can't help you with your strange phenomena. xmms calling gmixer
sounds very strange indeed. I can add my own experience from tonight
however.
(using GNOME) I was able to do everything with sound except record sound
through the microphone. (I made sure the 'rec' from the mike was on in
gmixer). Also: I could hear myself talk through the mike over the
speakers)

I was finally able to record through the mike by starting kmix from the
commandline and putting the 'rec' on the mike-label there as well.

Apparently gmixer settings are not always conveyed (Gconf perhaps) to
the system.

There is some strange things going on between the sound(server), the
mixer(s), and the sound-programs. Fascinating....

--Tino Meinen