Re: Starting xine

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 16:58, Neil Loffhagen wrote:
> I appreciate all the help on this.  I've downloaded the windows codecs
> and put them in /usr/local/win32 as mentioned, but it still isn't
> working.

My apologies - the codecs go int /usr/local/lib/win32.

I just checked my installation to see where I put them.

> I've tried opening the media file straight from Mozilla and also by
> using the open url in mplayer.  The Mozilla way asks what application I
> want to open the file with.  Have tried telling it to use mplayer, but
> it just downloads a small asx file and then does no more.  When I try
> the open url in mplayer it comes up with "Sorry, this file format is not
> recognized/supported.  If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream,
> please contact the author".  I've already contacted the author and there
> seems no immediate chance of the files being made available in another
> format.

I can't remember, but I think I have the same problem in Mozilla. I usually just
download the file to my hard drive. I've actually never tried using
Windows streaming media under Linux except RealPlayer files. I'll have
to give that a try and see what happens.

> Then I went back to the mplayer site and found that the codecs need to
> be in place before installing mplayer.  So I tried to deinstall using
> rpm -erase mplayer... which seemed to work, but when I then tried to run
> the install it said it could not because it was already installed.  So
> the next question is how can I get the system to allow me to reinstall?

Hmmmm.... can't remember if I installed the codecs first or not,
although somehow I don't think so because I don't think I even found the
codecs until after I had installed mplayer, but my memory on this
doesn't serve well!

You can remove the rpms by going to System Settings/Packages and
removing it with that tool. I've often found that rpm -e doesn't remove
the files from the rpm database, so rpm still thinks a program is
installed even after you've removed it.

You can also force a reinstall by using rpm -i --force.

> I've looked around, but obviously not in the right places for hints on
> doing this.  I hope someone will be patient with me and poit me in the
> right direction.
>
> Thanks again,

I think if you put the codecs in the right place, you'll be okay. Good
luck -  you'll love the results once you get it working.

Don