Re: Starting xine

I appreciate all the help on this.  I've downloaded the windows codecs
and put them in /usr/local/win32 as mentioned, but it still isn't
working.

I've tried opening the media file straight from Mozilla and also by
using the open url in mplayer.  The Mozilla way asks what application I
want to open the file with.  Have tried telling it to use mplayer, but
it just downloads a small asx file and then does no more.  When I try
the open url in mplayer it comes up with "Sorry, this file format is not
recognized/supported.  If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream,
please contact the author".  I've already contacted the author and there
seems no immediate chance of the files being made available in another
format.

Then I went back to the mplayer site and found that the codecs need to
be in place before installing mplayer.  So I tried to deinstall using
rpm -erase mplayer... which seemed to work, but when I then tried to run
the install it said it could not because it was already installed.  So
the next question is how can I get the system to allow me to reinstall?

I've looked around, but obviously not in the right places for hints on
doing this.  I hope someone will be patient with me and poit me in the
right direction.

Thanks again,

Neil

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 15:32, Jonas Rosenstok wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> I think what Don wrote has already provided the answer? With the
> necessary codecs you should have it working in no time. I actually
> haven't tried opening Windows Media files with Xine, only Divx, for
> which I installed the codec from the divx.com site and from the
> projectmayo.com site.
> >
> > Windows Media files work just fine with Mplayer. You have to download
> > the Windows codecs and place them in /usr/local/win32.
> >
> > I believe I got the codecs from freshrpms. Once the codecs are installed
> > I assure you mplayer will play files that even Windows Media Player
> > couldn't! (I have a couple of mpegs that WMP couldn't find audio codecs
> > for and wouldn't play. Tried in mplayer and they played perfectly.
> >
> > Don
>

> --
Thanks,

Neil