RH8 internal email broken

I am trying to migrate from an older server running
RH7.3 to RH8.0,
but I have run into a few roadblocks.
The two boxes are running Apache, MySQL, and not much
else. It appears
that the new box does not have internal email
configured properly.
Email is only used with logwatch to keep track of the
log events. The
firewall is configured to be open for only port 80 and
22, and 123
when NTP runs. On the old box running RH7.3, I did not
have to
configure the internal email system- it just worked.
On the newer box,
I have tried everything- un/installed sendmail,
un/installed postfix,
but it appears that the box is sending email to to
root@DNSNAME.edu
and not to the root account on the box like the 7.3
box does.
There is enough hard drive space, and the hardware
seems to be
working, so this is not a hardware issue.

Is there a fix?

The output from the mailog is: (NOTE: part of the DNS
name has been
replaced with DNSNAME to protect the privacy of the
server and
university).
Oct 24 11:04:05 newjaja sendmail[3349]:
g9OF44fM003349:
from=<root@newjaja.DNSNAME.edu>, size=325, class=0,
nrcpts=2,

msgid=<Pine.LNX.4.44.0210241103470.3348-100000@newjaja.DNSNAME.edu>,
proto=ESMTP, relay=root@localhost
Oct 24 11:04:05 newjaja sendmail[3352]:
g9OF44fM003349:
to=<root@jajabnks.DNSNAME.edu>,<root@newjaja.DNS.edu>,
ctladdr=<root@newjaja.DNSNAME.edu> (0/0),
delay=00:00:01,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=60319, relay=newjaj
a.DNS.edu. [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
Connection refused
by newjaja.DNSNAME.edu.

Thanks,
Matt