Re: sound dropouts

Alessandro Polverini wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 11:01, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>I used stock kernels on both 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0, and every audio app I use
>>(xmms, rhythmbox, gst-player) has this problem.  I have tried with both
>>OSS sound output, ALSA oss emulation, and pure ALSA.  pure ALSA gives the
>>best result up to now, but still unacceptably worse than with 7.3.
>

> Hello Thomas,
> I have the exact same problem.
>
> My setup is an athlon XP2000+ and a sounblaster live, and the sound
> quality is very low due to these bad droputs.
> I've been told that it's possible to solve the problem by installing
> ALSA, but I've not yet tryied it, an official package from Red Hat would
> be very welcome :)
>
> If there is a way to solve that (very annoying) problem without
> replacing the entire sound system I would be glad to know it.
>
> Bye,
> Alex

(Reposting, since it's probably an audio app priority issue)
Yes, X now runs with a nice of -10 (why? deadlocks? Mike Harris would know ...)
If the Xserver takes too long, audio can easily be interupted.

Try using renice on xmms (as root):
   renice -15 <pid_of_xmms>
You can also (as root):
   nice -15 xmms
But xmms now runs as root.  With renice, it still belongs to the user.

If you're using esd, it should be renice'd as well.  Even if X were running
with nice 0,  it's still good practice to elevate the priority of the
realtime audio processes to avoid skips.

Does anyone have a nice way to do this without popping in & out of root?

Cheers,
-Bob Arendt