sound dropouts

Hello,

first of all, red hat 8.0 is very very nice.  So thank you Red Hat ;)

Second, since upgrading to Red Hat 8.0, I've been having a lot more
problems with audio dropouts than I used to have in 7.2 or 7.3.

I used stock kernels on both 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0, and every audio app I use
(xmms, rhythmbox, gst-player) has this problem.  I have tried with both
OSS sound output, ALSA oss emulation, and pure ALSA.  pure ALSA gives the
best result up to now, but still unacceptably worse than with 7.3.

The machine is a Toshiba Tecra 8200, the sound card is a Yamaha (using the
ymipfc driver).  No need to tell me it is crap, I am fully aware of that,
but I would expect to be able to at least have it play back without
dropouts like it used to.

Dropouts happen quite randomly but probably linked to some action
somewhere - most notably sometimes during workspace switching, opening a
new tab in galeon, or starting an application like evolution.

I have been given some suggestions on what could be causing it, with the
two most likely (according to people) being pci bus starvation because of
the video card not releasing the pci bus often enough, and kernel
scheduling problems.

My question is : has anyone encountered a similar decrease in performance
between 7.3 and 8.0, and does anyone know how I can go about figuring out
and solving the two most likely reasons mentioned to me, or any other
major thing that  might be different between the two kernels (since
they're both 2.4.18, the difference is probably in one of the patches or
the configuration).

Thanks
Thomas

Just like you said
you leave my life
I'm better off dead
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->