Re: having problems with rpm from command-line.

Tom Diehl wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Randall J. Parr wrote:
>

>>I've installed RH8 (everything) and I have up2date'd to the most current
>>patches.
>>
>>I am having a problem with rpm hanging when I run it from the command-line.
>>
>>I run an rpm command, for example, any of the following:
>>
>>----------------------------------------
>>
>>rpm -qa | grep libdvd
>>
>>rpm -Uvh -vv --test libdvdcss*.rpm >LOG 2>&1
>>
>>rpm -Uvh -vv --test apt* >LOG 2>&1
>>
>>rpm -Uvh -vv  LinNeighborhood* >LOG 2>&1
>>
>>----------------------------------------
>>
>>and 2/3 of the time the rpm process hangs, won't respond to a CTR-C or DEL
>>and I have to issue a "kill -9 <pid>" to stop the hung process.
>>
>>I would figure my rpm db was hosed except that the up2date ran fine and
>>1/3 of the time the rpm command runs fine and completes/installs just
>>likes its supposed to.
>>
>>Is this a know problem or misconfiguration?
>>

>Kinda!! See the rpm list archives for the gory details. Several things
>can cause rpm to hang. The most common one is the presence of
>/var/lib/rpm/__db* files. Remove them and run rpm -vv --rebuilddb and that
>_should_ fix the problem. The other problem I am suddenly running into is
>that rpm transactions such as installing or upgrading rpms on NFS mounted
>file systems are failing. Copying the rpms onto the local machine allows
>things to install/upgrade normally. I never had this problem before but it
>is sure present now. The NFS problem is on a 7.2 system though so it
>might not be relevant to this discussion.
>
>FYI anytime you abort an rpm installation or upgrade the __db* files will be
>left around and should be removed. I have also seen several messages from
>Jeff stating not to be too quick to abort an rpm transaction that appears
>hung. He stated that if the rpm transaction is still using CPU cycles
>it is most likely OK and to be patient. I cannot remember exactly what is
>happening but I have seen this apparent hang symptom but the rpm transaction
>was still using CPU cycles and eventually completed. If I had not looked
>I would have aborted the transaction thinking it was hung.
>
>If the above does not fix your problem suggest you ask on the rpm list. Jeff
>Johnson is very good at helping with these types of problems.
>

>>This, and a few other things, has me very afraid of depending on RH8 at
>>this point.

I tried Tom's suggestions and was able to "unlock" rpm, that is, I could
then run something like
"rpm -qa | grep rhl" which worked fine.

BUT rpm continues to hang.

I thought maybe the problem was the rpms from freshrpms so I tried
installing the Acrobat rpms for RH8 from GuruLabs

acroread-5.06-4.i386.rpm
acroread-plugin-5.06-4.i386.rpm

rpm -K acroread*

rpm -qa | grep acroread

rpm -Uvh -vv --test acroread*.rpm >LOG 2>&1

works fine and LOG shows no dependency problem or other errors BUT

rpm -Uvh -vv acroread*.rpm >LOG 2>&1

hangs and I have to kill -9 to cancel the rpm and then rm -f __db* to
get it working again.

This is REALLY becoming an show stopper for our use of RH8

 From other posts I've seen on the rpm-list I may be experiencing a
known rpm-hang problem. As per the other posts I have let it run a LONG
time with no improvement. Nor have I been able to see in my LOG any
consistency to the point it fails/hangs. Even worse if I try an install
(like the above) several times it sometimes completes just fine.

Is there a fix?

Is this a problem with the rpms from freshrpms and the like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R.Parr
Temporal Arts