Re: How should i make  my computer with another OS make myLinux-box connect to internet with ppp? (dTd)

> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:12:14 -0400
> From: dTd <dandanielle@mindspring.com>
> On 20 Oct 2002 21:57:42 -0500
> David Krider <david@davidkrider.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 10:21, dTd wrote:
> sure but that's not what he asked for. He wants to be able to control his ppp
> connection from a lan box with a graphical app. Like a remote kppp, so he can
> bring the connection up and down.
two simple windows scripts (its not technically 'graphical' but you can
set them up to 'point and click'):
1) ssh <user>@<host> ifup ppp0
2) ssh <user>@<host> ifdown ppp0
If you really wanted to be tricky, you could amalgamate them into one
script and use a lock file or something...  This assumes you have ssh
set up with key pairs to automatically login without a password.  The
easier way would be on demand dialing, although you can only control the
'hangup' by timeouts, and if you have any background task running which
uses the internet (pop-mail applets, rhn applet etc) your link will be
going up and down, which could get expensive if you pay $ for each call.

Iain Buchanan