having problems with rpm from command-line.

I've installed RH8 (everything) and I have up2date'd to the most current
patches.

I am having a problem with rpm hanging when I run it from the command-line.

I run an rpm command, for example, any of the following:

rpm -qa | grep libdvd

rpm -Uvh -vv --test libdvdcss*.rpm >LOG 2>&1

rpm -Uvh -vv --test apt* >LOG 2>&1

rpm -Uvh -vv  LinNeighborhood* >LOG 2>&1

and 2/3 of the time the rpm process hangs, won't respond to a CTR-C or DEL
and I have to issue a "kill -9 <pid>" to stop the hung process.

I would figure my rpm db was hosed except that the up2date ran fine and
1/3 of the time the rpm command runs fine and completes/installs just
likes its supposed to.

Is this a know problem or misconfiguration?

This, and a few other things, has me very afraid of depending on RH8 at
this point.

R.Parr