Help!!! Deleted a partition and now I can't boot my system

I know this is for RH 7.3 and this is the 8.0 list
but this is a general linux issue more than a
straight 7.3 issue.  Also I don't know how many
people are still following the 7.3 list.  If anybody
could help me with this I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

------ Posted on the 7.3 forum

 I hope somebody can help me with this.  I am a
linux newbie and I have been running 7.3 for a couple
months but I don't know a lot about what goes on
behind the scenes.  So to help me understand the
inner workings I was trying to follow the "linux from
scratch" (LFS) website,
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org.  I wanted to keep my
old setup with 7.3 and build the LFS in a seperate
partition.  Well this is where things went wrong.

  I tried to create a new partition on hda but all of
the space was taken up by the seven hda partitions
labeled hda(1-7).  So I couldn't just create an hda8
partition.  But in my infinite wisdom I thought that
I could delete my hda5 partition to which my /home
was mounted because it was 23gb and I was only using
1%.  Now my user files aren't located on this
partition because they are located on hda2 (I think?)
where the /usr was mounted.  I looked through what
was on hda5 and all there was some gzip driver files
for my video card and other misc. nonessential files
but just in case I moved the files over into the /usr
area before I deleted the partition.  So once I
deleted the files my plan was to go in to fdisk and
delete hda5 and then take that 23gb and create a new
hda5 with only 10gb and used the other 13gb for my
new partition for the LFS install.  Well, once I
deleted the hda5 partition, it said that the changes
would take affect the next time I booted up.  So
before I create the smaller hda5 and the new LFS
partitions, I rebooted the machine.  Big mistake!
Now I can't even boot up.  When I try to boot up I
get the following error:

EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly
filesystem
EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: recovery complete
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd)
failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 304K freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option
to kernel

This error means nothing to me other than I really
screwed something up.  I have tried booting from my
linux boot disk and I get the same error.  I have
also tried booting from the installation CDs.  I was
hoping that I could go through the update procedure
and get to the partition part and fix this mess.  But
when it starts to search for hardware it is trying to
access hda5 and it gives me an error report that its
run out of space.  I don't know what else to try
except reinstall 7.3 but I don't want to lose all the
data I have on my hard drive.  I'm not even sure if
that will work anyway.  Please help!! Does anyone
have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Scott Chaney