Re: Help!!! Deleted a partition and now I can't boot my system

[snip]
>   I tried to create a new partition on hda but all of
> the space was taken up by the seven hda partitions
> labeled hda(1-7).  So I couldn't just create an hda8
> partition.  But in my infinite wisdom I thought that
> I could delete my hda5 partition to which my /home
> was mounted because it was 23gb and I was only using
> 1%.  Now my user files aren't located on this
> partition because they are located on hda2 (I think?)
> where the /usr was mounted.  I looked through what

"user files"?  Do you mean personal data or something else?  /usr actually
stands for "unix system resources" or something like that.

> was on hda5 and all there was some gzip driver files
> for my video card and other misc. nonessential files
> but just in case I moved the files over into the /usr
> area before I deleted the partition.  So once I
> deleted the files my plan was to go in to fdisk and
> delete hda5 and then take that 23gb and create a new
> hda5 with only 10gb and used the other 13gb for my
> new partition for the LFS install.  Well, once I

sounds logical

> deleted the hda5 partition, it said that the changes
> would take affect the next time I booted up.  So
> before I create the smaller hda5 and the new LFS
> partitions, I rebooted the machine.  Big mistake!
> Now I can't even boot up.  When I try to boot up I
> get the following error:
>
> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly
> filesystem
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery
> kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd)
> failed: 2
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 304K freed
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option
> to kernel
>
> This error means nothing to me other than I really
> screwed something up.  I have tried booting from my

When you deleted the /dev/hda5 all the partition will be renumbered.  So,
if your boot-loader is expecting to find / at, say, /dev/hda6 then it'll
be confused.

> linux boot disk and I get the same error.  I have
> also tried booting from the installation CDs.  I was

Booting from CD1 and entering rescue mode is the correct procedure.  What
you need to do then is to "chroot /mnt/sysimage" and then examine the
contents of /etc/grub.conf or /etc/lilo.conf.  In one of those files there
will be a specification of where the system's root filesystem is supposed
to be. You will need to examine the partition table using "fdisk" (type p
for a printout of the partition table) and guess by the size which one is
the / filesystem.  Go back and edit /etc/grub.conf with the correct value
of the / filesystem.

(Actually if you're using grub you can experiment with different /dev/hdX
values by selecting the entry to boot, pressing "e" to edit, selecting the
line that says something like "kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdX" and pressing
"e" to edit it again, then change the value of X, press enter, then press
"b" to boot.  This can be slightly more efficient in time than the
previous procedure.  You will still need to edit the /etc/grub.conf to
make the change permanent after you've determine the correct partition
though).

 > hoping that I could go through the update procedure
> and get to the partition part and fix this mess.  But

Shouldn't need to do that.

> when it starts to search for hardware it is trying to
> access hda5 and it gives me an error report that its
> run out of space.  I don't know what else to try
> except reinstall 7.3 but I don't want to lose all the
> data I have on my hard drive.  I'm not even sure if

Should not be necessary.

Good luck,
Oisin Feeley