Multimedia: mpeg and wav files

Hello,

I'm not a multimedia person myself, but I was given a floppy disk with an
MPEG file and a .wav file on it. (Nothing 'dodgy', just some fun stuff!)
Having installed RH8.0, I thought no problems there must be an mpeg viewer
and a .wav player somewhere in there. I use KDE as my desktop. Well I tried
'kaboodle' and 'noatun' and got completely lost with 'aRts' (?). None of
them could play/show either file. Running 'file' against them shows the mpeg
to actually be a quicktime file, but the wav file starts by saying it is a
RIFF file (I think - apologies, but the files are on my home PC, and this is
from work).

The simple question is what do people use to view MPEG/Quicktime files, and
what do people use to play wav files? As far as I remember kaboodle did
nothing, and noatun simply said it wasn't a wav file (or was of an
unrecognised format). Any suggestions? I could find nothing which appeared
to help on the RH CD's, but then with names like 'kaboodle' it's not exactly
obvious what it does!

Thanks,

John.