Re: Question about icmp on my firewall.

At 09:05 PM 10/19/2002, you wrote:
>Where do I find the list of icmp types and what they do? I want to
>configure my firewall but I need to know what the pros and cons are of
>each type.

The answer from a firewall perspective varies according to who you ask.
Some will say block all ICMP. Others will say allow all ICMP. Most will
fall in the middle, allowing some types/codes and blocking others. It
really depends upon your requirements, how cooperative you want to be with
remote hosts, and your general paranoia level.

Depending upon how in-depth of a discussion you're interested in, I found a
fantastic document about the good and evil of ICMP, and in fact based much
of my firewall's ICMP configuration on the information it presented. "ICMP
Usage in Scanning: The Complete Know-How" by Ofir Arkin
(http://www.sys-security.com) goes into a good amount of detail about the
various ICMP types and codes. While the focus of the paper is ultimately on
the use of ICMP for OS fingerprinting and scanning, it covers the
legitimate and not-so-legitimate uses of ICMP, and should provide the
information needed to determine what to allow and what to block, depending
upon the issues I mentioned above.

Cheers,

Doug

This email, and any included attachments, have been checked
by Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (Version 7.6), AVG
Server Edition 6.0, and Merak Email Server Integrated
Antivirus (Alwil Software's aVast! engine) and is certified
Virus Free.