Re: Multimedia: mpeg and wav files

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 14:57, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not a multimedia person myself, but I was given a floppy disk with an
> MPEG file and a .wav file on it. (Nothing 'dodgy', just some fun stuff!)
> Having installed RH8.0, I thought no problems there must be an mpeg viewer
> and a .wav player somewhere in there. I use KDE as my desktop. Well I tried
> 'kaboodle' and 'noatun' and got completely lost with 'aRts' (?). None of
> them could play/show either file. Running 'file' against them shows the mpeg
> to actually be a quicktime file, but the wav file starts by saying it is a
> RIFF file (I think - apologies, but the files are on my home PC, and this is
> from work).
>
> The simple question is what do people use to view MPEG/Quicktime files, and
> what do people use to play wav files? As far as I remember kaboodle did
> nothing, and noatun simply said it wasn't a wav file (or was of an
> unrecognised format). Any suggestions? I could find nothing which appeared
> to help on the RH CD's, but then with names like 'kaboodle' it's not exactly
> obvious what it does!

I'm not aware of any linux program that can play quicktime files...

As far as the wav file is concered, you should be able to play it fine
with xmms or noatun or any other player. If the programs tell you it's
not what it should be, consider disk corruption. (You did say it was a
floppy - good chance for corruption.)