Re: password help

Boot from your install cd in rescue mode.  (Enter "linux rescue" when
booting.)

It will/should tell you how to chroot to your root partition.

Run passwd.

exit to reboot.

This will get you running, however you should think seriously about
keeping a compromised system.  There is no telling what the hacker did
while he was logged in as root.  Any hacker worth his black hat will
install a root kit or two and some hidden backdoors as well as other
surprises.

My policy is to immediately format any system that has been hacked.  If
you want to preserve evidence for possible forensic analysis, buy a new
drive and send the compromised one to someone who knows this business.
I've never worked for a company that wanted to attempt prosecution, we
just wanted to know what happened and how to prevent it in the future.

My $0.02.

-Michael

>>> gmalsack@classic.net 10/21/02 09:45AM >>>
Hi All,

	Some one with nothing better to do hacked into one of my mom &
pop
customers FTP server using a program called SucKIT. In case you
haven't
heard of this before, I highly recommend looking it up at phrack.org
and
learning about it. I've even uploaded the README file if you would
like. It
talks about ways to safeguard yourself from this type of attack.
Anyways,
can anyone tell me how to change the root password back to what it was?
So
we can log in and get things fixed?

Thanks...
Greg

++++++++++++++++++  SucKIT README File
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  SucKIT v1.3b, (c) 2002 by sd <sd@cdi.cz> & devik <devik@cdi.cz>

  Code:		by sd, with a lot of help from devik
<devik@cdi.cz>
  Concepts:	by Silvio Cesare - /dev/kmem, devik - kmalloc & IDT
  		http://phrack.org/p58/phrack-09
  Tested:	by hundreds of script kiddos around the globe :)
  Targets:	i386-Linux boxen, kernels 2.2.x, 2.4.x without
		security patches/modules.
  Downloads:	http://sd.g-art.nl/sk

    The SucKIT is easy-to-use, Linux-i386 kernel-based rootkit. The
code
  stays in memory through /dev/kmem trick, without help of LKM support
  nor System.map or such things. Everything is done on the fly. It can
  hide PIDs, files, tcp/udp/raw sockets, sniff TTYs. Next, it have
  integrated TTY shell access (xor+sha1) which can be invoked through
  any running service on a server. No compiling on target box needed,
  one binary can work on any of 2.2.x & 2.4.x kernels precompiled
(libc-free)

  You could find details about technical background in 'src'
directory.

  Compiling
  +-------+

    To configure parameters (where is your home, which suffix will
hide
  files, and of course, access password) must be given before
compiling
  by:

  $ make skconfig

    Then you could compile the all of stuff by:

  $ make

  You will get a file, probably called 'inst' in current directory.
  It's a script you upload to target box, exec it and then try to
remotely
  login to that host using './login' and password you supplied in
skconfig.

  +-+

  Q: When I try to load suckit, it will segfault with kernel oops, wtf
?