Re: Cups & Lpd

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 18:59, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:31:16PM -0500, Paul Kloves wrote:
>
> > Yup.  Solved this problem a few minutes ago, actually.  I'm using
> > xinetd, and I found that cups-lpd was enabled.  I disabled it,
> > restarted xinetd, and now I can start lpd.
>
> I had another report like this, but cups-lpd is shipped disabled so
> I'm not sure what's going on.  Is this an upgrade, or a fresh
> installation?

It is a fresh install. I've never been successful trying to print to a
Lexmark Optra E312 on a Windows 2000 machine here on my lan. I've posted
the question back when I was running 7.3 and received some help, but I
was never able to make it go. The I managed to get it to go as far as
the win2k machine accepting the print job, and the data light flashes on
the printer about half a dozen times, then goes out. The print job fails
to come out. So it's like the printer is aborting the print job.

So now that I've done a fresh install of 8.0, I thought I'd take a stab
at it with cups. I was messing about and now I've got it screwed up
somehow. I did follow the previous thread closely on this, but my
problem didn't seem to be the same.

In a nutshell, I'd just like to be able to print to the laser printer on
that win2k machine. Whether cups or lpd does it, doesn't really matter
to me. One question, after I run redhat-switch-printer, and then I run
redhat-print-config, does the gui screen look the same for both cups and
lpd? Maybe it's not running the cups gui config for me.

Thanks, I'll keep muddling away with this. In the meantime I've set a
lexmark z32 on my desk so I can fix my print manager.

--
-=/>Thom
Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche) running Linux Kernel 2.4.18-17.8.0