Re: Cups & Lpd

Gene C. wrote:

>On Friday 18 October 2002 18:59, Tim Waugh wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:31:16PM -0500, Paul Kloves wrote:
>>

>>>Yup.  Solved this problem a few minutes ago, actually.  I'm using
>>>xinetd, and I found that cups-lpd was enabled.  I disabled it,
>>>restarted xinetd, and now I can start lpd.
>>>

>>I had another report like this, but cups-lpd is shipped disabled so
>>I'm not sure what's going on.  Is this an upgrade, or a fresh
>>installation?
>>

>If I understand this thread correctly, I believe some folks atr switching from
>the install default LPRng to CUPS (switch works fine) and then back to LPRng
>(may be some stuff missing for a clean switch).
>
>Gene

It is not enough to use the switch, see the Customization Guide Ch 26:
If you selected CUPS, you must make sure the lpd service is stopped and
the cups service is started:
/sbin/service lpd stop
/sbin/service cups start
If you selected LPRng, you must make sure the cups service is stopped
and the lpd service is started
Also use chkconfig, ntsysv, or Services Configuration Tool to configure
your sytsem to start the cups service automatically and disable the lpd
service.