Re: How should i make my computer with another OS make my Linux-box connect to internet with ppp?

On 20 Oct 2002 21:57:42 -0500
David Krider <david@davidkrider.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 10:21, dTd wrote:
> > I saw a package on freshmeat designed to do just this, I have forgotten
> > it's name, but a quick search for "demand dial" should get you some
> > results. As a side note, you can set an idle option to pppd that will drop
> > the connection after a certain amount of time. Not ver helpfull but hey
> > it's a start.  :)
>
> I can't believe that no one has nailed this down yet. It's very simple
> to do, and everything you need is already in the distribution. If you
> already have your main box connecting with pppd, there's just two things
> left to do on the pppd side.
>
> You must properly configure both network sides of your Linux box, you
> must ENABLE IP FORWARDING (this one's easy to overlook), and you must -
> as you said - enable masquerading through iptables.
>
> (In 7.3, there was a GUI to configure everything you want. It was called
> rp3-config. I don't know if it's there in RH 8 as I have regressed to
> 7.3 again because I have issues with the font situation. I'm sure
> there's an equivalent, though it will probably be called
> `redhat-config-something'.)
>
> Anyway, all it did was configure `ifcfg-pppX' scripts in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. The options you need are "DEMAND=yes"
> and "IDLETIMEOUT=XXX".

sure but that's not what he asked for. He wants to be able to control his ppp
connection from a lan box with a graphical app. Like a remote kppp, so he can
bring the connection up and down.

--
/dTd
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. - Larry Wall