Re: How should i make my computer with another OS make myLinux-box connect to internet with ppp?

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 10:21, dTd wrote:
> I saw a package on freshmeat designed to do just this, I have forgotten it's
> name, but a quick search for "demand dial" should get you some results. As a
> side note, you can set an idle option to pppd that will drop the connection
> after a certain amount of time. Not ver helpfull but hey it's a start.  :)

I can't believe that no one has nailed this down yet. It's very simple
to do, and everything you need is already in the distribution. If you
already have your main box connecting with pppd, there's just two things
left to do on the pppd side.

You must properly configure both network sides of your Linux box, you
must ENABLE IP FORWARDING (this one's easy to overlook), and you must -
as you said - enable masquerading through iptables.

(In 7.3, there was a GUI to configure everything you want. It was called
rp3-config. I don't know if it's there in RH 8 as I have regressed to
7.3 again because I have issues with the font situation. I'm sure
there's an equivalent, though it will probably be called
`redhat-config-something'.)

Anyway, all it did was configure `ifcfg-pppX' scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. The options you need are "DEMAND=yes"
and "IDLETIMEOUT=XXX".

Regards,
dk