Re: Slow GUI Performance

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Jonathan Savage wrote:

>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:54:38 -0700
>From: Jonathan Savage <jonathansavage@earthlink.net>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Slow GUI Performance
>
>G'day all-
>After having scanned everything posted in October I have not found a fix to
>this problem-
>
>The desktop performance is really, really slow.
>That was not the case in RH 7.2. I did a clean install and wonder if there is
>a tweak I need to do to get things running more quickly.
>
>Some System Specs:
>Dell Dimension_L
>PIII 500
>320 MB RAM
>Graphics card Intel 810
>
>Thanks in advance

Your system is a tad slow.  Both GNOME and KDE in Red Hat Linux
8.0 use the new XFree86 Xft libraries for client side fonts,
which provides uniform font support for all Xft enabled
applications, and allows antialiasing for example.  Since most of
the distribution is using Xft now for font display, the demands
are higher on the CPU since Xft is currently not accelerated by
any of the video drivers.  Future XFree86 releases likely will
begin accelerating this stuff, at least on the most modern
graphics adaptors.

2 possibilities:

1) Disable antialiasing
2) Buy a faster CPU

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer