RE: INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

It think, bash simulates traditional sh behaviour, when run as /bin/sh, and
advanced bash scripts may be incompatible with it.

> The last command succeeded. Conlusion: it does make a difference if
> the /usr/bin/gdm script is started with /bin/sh or /bin/bash,
> although /bin/sh is a symbolic link to /bin/bash. Editing the
> script /usr/bin/gdm and changing the first line, which reads
>
>   #!/bin/sh

>   #!/bin/bash
>
> and running
>
>   # /usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
>
> also succeeds.
>
> Is there any reason for me seeing this behaviour in my RHL 8.0
> box? Is anybody else seeing this? I remember seeing a report
> of this error in the limbo-list when (null) was being
> tested, but no satisfactory solution.

I'm running gdm on 2 Psyche machines without a problem, and I also used it
successfully with (null). I never had to modify either prefdm or gdm
scripts. Btw, your gdm script complains about line 175, while mine has only
11 lines.