Re: a couple more observations about CUPS

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 08:01:35AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   (i'd be happy to move this to a CUPS-specific mailing list
> if one exists, although there is definitely a psyche-related
> component to a lot of this.)

There is a CUPS mailing list, yes.

> 1) is there any conflict between the LPRng and CUPS config files?
>    from what i see, LPRng uses /etc/printcap, while CUPS uses the
>    /etc/cups directory structure.  so can one switch from one system
>    to the other safely without clobbering the respective config
>    files?

Since /etc/printcap is generated by printconf at boot, you can of
course clobber it without ill effects.  Note though that you'll need
to remove /etc/printcap if you've just switched from CUPS to LPRng,
due to the way the printconf LPRng backend works.

> 2) the "lpinfo" command has definitely non-standard UNIX behavior
>    in that option order is relevant:

Indeed; this is a very simplistic tool---take a look at the way it
parses its options to see what I mean. (Observations like this might
be better directed at the CUPS people though.)

Tim.
*/