Re: INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 02:09:07PM +0200, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:

> [...]

Correct. From the bash man page:
   "If  bash  is  invoked  with  the name sh, it tries to mimic the
   startup behavior of historical versions of sh as  closely  as
   possible,  while conforming  to the POSIX standard as well."

> > The last command succeeded. Conclusion: it does make a difference if
> > the /usr/bin/gdm script is started with /bin/sh or /bin/bash,
> > although /bin/sh is a symbolic link to /bin/bash. Editing the
> > script /usr/bin/gdm and changing the first line, which reads
> >
> >   #!/bin/sh

> >   #!/bin/bash
> >
> > and running
> >
> >   # /usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
> >
> > also succeeds.
> >
> > Is there any reason for me seeing this behaviour in my RHL 8.0
> > box? Is anybody else seeing this? I remember seeing a report
> > of this error in the limbo-list when (null) was being
> > tested, but no satisfactory solution.
>
> I'm running gdm on 2 Psyche machines without a problem, and I also used it
> successfully with (null). I never had to modify either prefdm or gdm
> scripts. Btw, your gdm script complains about line 175, while mine has only
> 11 lines.

But my /usr/bin/gdm script is also only 11 lines and it does not
use any advanced bash features, althogh it sources the
/etc/profile script, which in turn source all /etc/profile.d/*.sh
scripts wich are readable.

It turns out that I have a custom script /etc/profile.d/localsetup.sh
which defines a function named mc-transparent-set and then, in line
175, defines a new function using the same name. When in POSIX mode,
bash (called as sh) flags an error at this line. When in normal
mode, bash (called as bash) flags no error.

So, what shells are expected to source the /etc/profile script
at startup? Both sh and bash? If so, the scripts /etc/profile.d/*.sh
should not use any non sh behaviour of bash, right?

This same script /etc/profile.d/localsetup.sh was present in my
box running RHL 7.3 (before installing 8.0) and there was no
such problem. Does anybody still have /usr/bin/gdm from RHL 7.3
to compare with the one from RHL 8.0?

> > Any clues?

Romildo
--