Re: Power-Off problem

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 20:55, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi All Folks,
>
> CPU  AMD Athlon 1.4G
> Motherboard	  2thMax 8KHA
> ATX system
>
> I suffered this problem since running RH7.3.  My RH8.0 was upgraded from a
> RH7.3 box
>
> During "shutdown PC" on graphic mode RH8.0 closed but the PC is not
> power-off.  Following text displayed on screen
>
> - snip -
> Halting system
> md: stopping all md devices
> flushing ide device : hda hdc hdd
> Power down
>
> The screen hangs here and power is still on.
>
> When "shutdown PC" on Console window with command
>
> # shutdown -y -g0
>
> same result.
>
> Previously I have been playing around with BIOS and PC setup but no
> solution reached
>
> Any advice.

I've got a similar problem on two different systems, one at work running
Mandrake 8.2, and one at home running RH 8.0. When they get to the end
of the shutdown procedure, they just dump a bunch of error codes to the
screen. If I pass "apm=off" to the kernel on bootup, the systems just go
to "Power Down" and wait for me to turn them off manually. One (running
Mandrake) is an AMD K6-2 400 on a VIA MVP3 chipset mobo, the other
(running RH 8.0) is an Athlon 1800+ on an ALi Magik chipset mobo (it
formerly ran Mandrake 8.2 and did the same thing).