Re: Unable to print after trying to switch to CUPS and back to LPD

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:42:04PM -0400, Gerry Kirk wrote:

> Printing was working fine, until I tried to switch to CUPS. I configured
> a printer via the CUPS web admin tool. The test print was fine. However,
> from a non-root user, nothing came out.

(Odd; works for me.)

> So, I tried switching back to LPD, again using the Printer Switcher
> utility and restarting the appropriate daemon, stopping the other. Still
> no dice.

There is an extra thing you need to do.  The steps you need (it seems)
are:

redhat-switch-printer
service cups stop
chkconfig cups-lpd off
service xinetd reload
rm /etc/printcap
service lpd start

> I can print using either printing service if I am root, but no other
> user.

I would recommend that you pick a print spooler first, and then try to
get it working (but stick with one).

Tim.
*/