somewhat messy output format using CUPS

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:42:04PM -0400, Gerry Kirk wrote:
>
> > Printing was working fine, until I tried to switch to CUPS. I configured
> > a printer via the CUPS web admin tool. The test print was fine. However,
> > from a non-root user, nothing came out.
>
> (Odd; works for me.)

and while we're on the subject of CUPS, i just switched over
and used the browser-based admin tool to add a printer hanging
off of my parallel port -- a nec superscript 860.

the addition seemed to go smoothly, the test page printed
fine, but in test printing a simple text file, i got two
leading blank pages first, and the text itself crammed right
up against the top of the page, and the first two characters
chopped off since all the text was printed too close to the
left margin for the physical properties of my printer.

my current properties for the nec are:
	300 dpi
	media source: printer default (there is only 1 tray)
	page size US letter
	no starting or ending banner

all of which seems pretty safe and generic.

any hints for stopping the leading blank pages or getting CUPS to
recognize a decent top and left margin?  i'm still working my way
thru the admin docs so perhaps i'll stumble across the answer
shortly.

rday