Re: Copyright infringemnet. was: Re: stickers in box?

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 02:58, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2002 02:51:56 -0400
> Chris Kloiber <ckloiber@ckloiber.com> wrote:
>
> # Wait a minute, you aren't talking about destroying *me*, your talking
> # about bootleg case badges. Yeah, that's probably more than a tad out
> # of bounds. You can copy the software, but not the logo. Please don't
> # feed the lawyers.
>
> Would it not be ok for his personal use?  Just as long as he wasn't
> passing them out to his friends, or selling them on the side of the
> street...
>
> What about all the websites (like my own) that has a "Powered by Red
> Hat" logo on it?

IANAL, nor do I play one on the net. However...

The "Powered by Red Hat" logo has the copyright intact, and I believe
there's something in the docs we include that specifically allows the
use of that logo on any webserver which is running on Red Hat Linux. So
the use of that logo would be allowed in that context.

Removing the copyright symbol in an attempt to get it professionally
mass produced is another matter. Besides, I've seen kits on case modding
websites to make your own case badges with professional looking results
from just about any 1" x 1" logo. That could easily work wonders with
one of the box-set stickers, and nobody needs to "feed the lawyers".

--
Chris Kloiber